Turmeric oil is an essential oil that is extracted by steam distillation from the roots of the turmeric plant.
Turmeric is a herbaceous perennial plant that looks similar to ginger and grows sixty to ninety centimeters tall. The scientific name of this plant is Curcuma Longa. Turmeric is indigenous to Southeast India and today the world's largest producer of the plant is India, and it is produced in large quantities in China and Japan also. Sometimes it is referred to as Indian Saffron.
Turmeric oil is a yellow to slightly yellow green oil with a spicy fresh woods aroma that has wonderful properties and is beneficial in the treatment and management of various health disorders. It is also blended with other oils to produce more effective results, however only little of it is used because it has a powerful aroma that dominates the other oils.
Use of Oil
1. The anti inflammatory properties in Turmeric oil make it especially beneficial in the treatment of rheumatism and arthritis.
2. The oil is effective in the regeneration of the liver and also aids in digestion.
3. Turmeric oil is an antiseptic that effectively destroys bacteria, fungi and viruses and helps fight infections.
4. The oil is widely used in killing worms and eliminating them from the body.
5. The oil has anticarcinogenic properties and is known to be effective in preventing cancer.
6. It is also an antivenom.
7. Turmeric oil has anti allergic properties and is effective in fighting allergies.
Perfumers use Turmeric oil to add mild spicy notes to perfumes. Its anti inflammatory properties make is good for body butters and lotions.
Turmeric oil is a favourite in the food industry for its spicy aroma. It is used in curries, stews and meat dishes of all kinds.