Sandalwood is extracted from the wood of the matured tree using the process of steam distillation. This oil has 88% santalol and is therefore has a wide array of health benefits. It has antidepressant, antiseptic, antiviral, aphrodisiac, antitumor, astringent, immune stimulant, sedative, and tonic. This oil is recognized as the most adulterated essential oils.
About Sandalwood: Santalum album is the botanical of the sandalwood tree which comes from the family of Santalaceae. This tree can grow up to 30 feet in height and it takes thirty to sixty years of waiting before it becomes mature.
Sandalwood oil: This oil is obtained from a sandalwood tree which gives more oil when it is matured when extracted. This oil has Beta Santatol, Santalenes and Santyl Acetate as its main components. In addition, it is used in various industrial products to increase fragrance.
Uses of Sandalwood oil:
1. Sandalwood oil acts as an antiseptic that can be applied internally and externally. It also helps to protect wounds as well as ulcer from any infections. It is also a good fighter against bacteria and viruses.
2. This oil acts as anti-inflammatory which helps to remove the redness and inflammation of the infected area. It also helps to relieve the inflammation in the digestive, circulatory, and nervous system from any infections and other diseases.
3. Astringent: The oil is also effective for strengthening and contracting the muscles, gums and skin.
4. The oil also acts as an aphrodisiac which is a good remedy for headaches and migraine.
5. This oil is also effective for skin care. It moisturized dry and chapped skin as well as, it acts as anti-ageing which is useful for ageing skin tissues. It is used in cream and lotion for skin care.
Aside from being used for treatment and cosmetics, it is also used to add flavor to foods and beverages.