Nutmeg Essential Oil is a natural oil extracted from the kernels of the nutmeg tree. The kernel is ground and the oil extracted through steam distillation. Its properties make it a potent natural anti inflammatory.
About Nutmeg Tree
This is an evergreen tropical tree from the species Myristica Fragrans which is the source of all nutmeg that is used commercially. It can grow up to a height of sixty feet (eighteen meters) and has long feathery simple leaves. It produces the nutmeg which has a hard shell and when broken it reveals a fleshy golden fruit. The nutmeg tree is indigenous to the Banda Islands of Indonesia.
The nutmeg oil is used widely in the pharmaceutical industry and perfumery. It can be combined with other essential oils and is very effective for the treatment and management of many medical conditions.
Use of Nutmeg Oil
1. Nutmeg oil is widely used for the treatment of nervous and digestive system disorders.
2. The oil can be used for mouth hygiene and is a remedy for halitosis, and also when someone has a toothache it can be applied to the gums to dull the pain.
3. A few drops of nutmeg oil on little sugar lumps or with a little honey can be used to prevent nausea.
4. Nutmeg oil is effective in the management of gastroenteritis, diarrhea, indigestion and gallstones.
5. Highly effective as a massage oil for muscular pain associated with rheumatism or overexertion.
6. Because of its aroma therapeutic properties Nutmeg oil is effective for soothing the mind and creating a feeling of general well being.
7. In cosmetics Nutmeg oil is used in various toothpastes, beauty soaps, lotions, creams and perfumes.
Nutmeg oil is used to flavor a number of baked goods, beverages, syrups and sweets.