Anise (Pimpinella anisum) is traditionally used as a aromatic herb in many drinks and baked foods because of the presence of volatile oils in its fruits commonly known as seeds. Anise is a herbaceous annual plant member of the apiacae family that can grow to heights of up to three feet. Thin pin -shaped roots produce narrow cut stems and leaves that form feathery lobes.
Essential oil obtained by steam distillation of the dry fruits of Pimpinella anisum L. It isclear, colourless or pale yellow liquid in characteristic.The chief constituent of aniseed oil is trans-anethole, ( 80 to 95%) and is mainly responsible for the characteristic flavor of the oil. The oil also contains estragole,anisaldehyde and pseudoisoeugenyl, a-pinene, camphene, p-cymene.
Uses of Aniseed Oil:-
1. Spasmolytic effect:-It is known for its antispasmodic propertiesbecause of the Methanolic acid present the oil .It is known for treating pain and spasm in irritable bowel syndrome(IBS).
2. Expectorant:-It is secretolytic in nature whici helps for facilitation or acceleration of the secretion of the mucus from the respiratorytract.
3. OESTROGENIC :-Its main component anethole is an estrogenic agent which is antiheptoxic and has teratogenic effect.THats why it is an perfect antioxidant.
4. SEDATIVE AND ANAESTHETIC:-Anethole, the principal component of anise oil, is a precursor that can eventually produce 2,5-dimethoxybenzaldehyde which is can be used in the clandestine synthesis of psychedelic drugs such as 2C-B, 2C-I and DOB.
5. Anticarcinogenic:-Antehole is known for its cytotoxic and non-clastogenic nature which means this oil is potent inhibitor of tumor growth.
6. ANTIMICROBIAL:-Due to the presence of Phenyl propanaid component it is used for making antifungal medicines.Its volatile in nature helps to inhibit the growth of mycotoxin producing aspergillus.
FOOD AND PERFUMERY:-
In food industry it is used in candies ,baked food,bevareages and chewing gum.Anethole is mainly used for food flavouring.It is also used in alcoholic drinks like raki and anisette.
In making perfumes it is mostly used as it over-shadow the hydrogen sulphide.It is also used for making dentifrices.