Pine silvestris oil is extracted by the process of steam distillation of the needles of the pine tree. It can also be extracted using the process of solvent distillation. This oil has antiseptic, antidiabetic, anti-inflammatory, anti-bacterial, antimicrobial, anti-viral, anti-neuralgic, expectorant and stimulant properties which are very helpful in aiding various diseases. Aside from medicinal uses, it can also be used in the making of products.
About Pine Silvestris: Pinus sylvestris (botanical name of the pine tree) is a tall evergreen tree that grows up to 130 feet tall. This tree is native in the countries of Russia and Austria before it began to spread all over the world. This tree is very popular in the whole world as it is being used as a Christmas tree during the Christmas season.
Pine Silvestris oil: This oil is obtained from the tree. It is best used in aromatherapy because of its woody and at the same time fresh aroma. The oil can be well used together with other essential oil including rosemary, cedarwood, sage and labdanum essential oils.
Uses of Pine Silvestris oil:
1. This oil is very beneficial in aromatherapy. It helps to relieve pain and stress. In addition, this oil gives energizing feeling and helps to boost positive emotional feeling.
2. Pine silvestris has analgesic property. The oil is a good remedy for muscle and joint pains. It is also beneficial for arthritis, rheumatism, and gout.
3. The oil is also beneficial for skin care – it helps to treat skin problems. It is highly effective for itching, scabies, eczema, psoriasis, pimples, and other skin problems. It also helps to keep the skin smooth and shiny.
4. This oil has anti-oxidant and is therefore it helps to reduce to wrinkles and regenerate ageing tissues. It also helps to maintain a young and healthy looking skin.
5. Aside from being used in treating different kinds of diseases, it is also used as a component in making cosmetic products and perfumes because it has a fresh scent – needed in making of these products. It has a disinfectant and is therefore effective to be used as a cleaning product and insecticide. It is also used as bath oil and massage oil.
The pine silvestris can't be used as oil in cooking since it has a low smoke point, but rather it is used to add flavor to the cooked food.