The cinnamon tree is rust-colored that can grow up to 15 meters with glossy, green leaves, small, white flowers and oval shaped purple berries. Cinnamon oil was used as temple incense, while the Egyptians used it for foot massage. It was also used as an ingredient for mulled wines, love potions and as a sedative during birth. It was an important trade commodity between India, China and Egypt. Cinnamon oil is a spicy essential oil with great importance in aromatherapy. It is known to fight exhaustion and fatigue while lifting up the feeling of depression. It has powerful anti-rheumatic properties, is useful in the digestive system, while fighting colds and flu as well.
Qualities and Properties
1.Cinnamon oil has a warm and spicy musky smell
2. The leaf oil is yellow in color
3. The thickness of the oil is medium to watery
4. Slightly oily feeling
5. Cinnamon oil has a warming effect/hot on skin
6. The cinnamon oil extracted from the leaves through steam distillation
7. The therapeutic properties of cinnamon oil are analgesic, antiseptic, antibiotic, antispasmodic, aphrodisiac, astringent etc.
Uses and Benefits
1. Skin Benefits— Cinnamon oil plumps the skin reducing fine lines and wrinkles and reduce signs of aging
2. Cinnamon oil is used as a massage oil— It is said to improve blood circulation when used as a massage oil
3. Cinnamon oil can be as disinfectant, odor neutralizer and bug & insect repellent
4. It is also used in aromatherapy to treat bronchitis, lifts depression and reduce fatigue
5. Can be used as antibacterial mouthwash and foot wash
6. Cinnamon oil is also a great bleach alternative domestic disinfectant and very effective plant pesticide and mold killer.
1. The main chemical components of the essential oil which are obtained from the leaves are:
3. eugenol acetate
6. benzyl benzoate