Agarwood is the resinous, fragrant heartwood produced by Aquilaria tree. Agarwood is formed when normal wood tissues are wounded by fungal infections, chemical stimulation or any other physical way .This process produces a dark resin to counter the attack.The resin is aromatic and dense in natur.It is native to Southeast Asia, with Indonesia, Malaysia, Vietnam,Cambodia, Thailand main producer of it.
ESSENTIAL oil:-The A. crassna specie of aquilara tree contains good quality Agarwood oil.It is extracted by hydro distillation. Supercritical fluid carbon dioxide extraction method is mainly used in industrial process.
Sesquiterpenes and 2-(2-phenylethyl)-4H-chromen-4-one derivatives are the main constituents in agarwood. Sesquiterpenes can be divided into Agarofurans, Agarospiranes,Guaianes.Some aromatic compounds it have are Benzylacetone, Anisicacid,(p-Methoxybenzyl)acetone.
USES OF ESSENTIAL OIL:-
1. Aromatherapy:AGARwodd essential oil is an aphrodisiac essential oils. It helps to treat nervous system disorders ,anxiety, stress.the reason for it is valerian compound found in it
2. Perfumes:-It is also used as an base of many expensive branded perfumes.
3. Antimicrobial Activity. agarwood oil possess antibacterial properties to fight against against different pathogens.
4. Sedative:- Baimuxinic acid present in the oil has shown anesthetic properties.Benzylacetone its one of the component is aneffective constituent for cough relief ,. (2-phenylethyl)chromone is use in anti-allergic treatments.
5. Anticarcinogen activity:- 2-(2-Phenylethyl)-4H-chromen-4-one exhibit cytotoxicity against the gastric cancer cell line
6. ANTIOXIDANT. The extract of the heartwood A. agallocha act as an strong antioxidant agent which effect human blood haemolysate.